Tuesday, April 25, 2017

"The Angry People" Give the "New" Huffington Post a Woody


I wonder if the "New" Huffington Post welcome editorial was written to singularly annoy me? It is like they said, "What will piss off Scott?"

I get that a new editor wants to put her new stamp on things.  Rah rah.

But her sweeping generalizations annoy me.

For example:


For me, the biggest divide in America, indeed across the globe, is between those who have power and those who don’t, and that doesn’t easily line up with our red and blue, left or right politics. The media has come up short in telling the story of one side of that divide ― of the people experiencing anger, voicelessness and powerlessness.
Facts and truth are basic elements of the news. But they alone are not enough. Emotion, humor and empathy are also essential ingredients of journalism that helps you know what’s real. It’s no wonder so many people these days get their news from comedy shows.

Bullshit. Since the election the media has done nothing but tell the story of THAT divide. All I have heard is tales of woe from angry white people who voted for Trump and now are upset that people think they are racists. And commentators (and Bernie Sanders) constant tell me that I need to stop even thinking ill of those voters.

Hey, here is an idea... tell the story of us that voted for Hillary but still supported (and continue to support) the policies that help people that voted for Trump. I haven't worked in a few years full time, but for over a two decades I made well over twice the "median family income" and I was happy to work for public Health Care, increased Veteran's Benefits, school funds via taxes and effort. I worked in non-profits like Habitat for Humanity and paid a shit load in taxes. And I was okay with that. It was the price of citizenship and helping my fellow Americans.

But now I am suppose to feel guilty because the Trump voters don't feel valued. Even though 93% of them would vote for him again. Bite me!

or

A simple but powerful question drove me to join HuffPost three months ago after nearly 15 years at The New York Times: What would it mean to create a news organization that saw itself not as writing about people who feel left out of the political, economic and social power arrangements, but for them?

Wow, that kind of trashes the New York Times. Apparently they are writing only for people who feel they have power in the political, economic and social power arrangements.  I wonder if you have to be powerful in all to subscribe?  Maybe it is just a few. Clearly, I have to cancel my subscription.

Idiot.