Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Traveling to Odd Spots 3

The next odd spot came from the news and has blossomed into one of my favorite spots in the world.

In 2013 (I think) Eddie and I went on vacation with Jane, Barbara, Gareth and a bunch of fun Brits in Croatia. In checking where we were, I found we were close to Mostar.

I had heard about the destruction of the Mostar Bridge as one of the most idiotic of the acts of the Bosnian War. It was built by the Ottomans over 500 years ago. Which is twice as long as we have been a country. And the bombing of it was particularly strategic, just a random act of violence.

So Eddie, Jane and I went to Mostar. And, the rest, as they say, is history.
During the war on the 1990s, it was originally built in 1566.

After it's destruction

The rebuilt bridge in Mostar, Bosnia Herzegovina